Sunday, 6 September 2026

Germany's River Towns - Part Two

St. Goar 
 
Kind of a short wrap from Part One. This is actually immediately after my stop in Bacharach. I discovered that there is this "William Turner Route" along the Rhein river, with spots marked from which he likely had sketched or drew reference. Anyway, Rheinfels castle was definitely on the map and I inexplicably ditched my car on the river bank and hiked up the 30 mins trek in brutal heat. (I at least only had a tote bag, the 2 poor ladies in front of me were dragging suitcases up the steep curve. Oh dear)
 
Anyways, once up there, the breeze was refreshing and the views spectacular. I actually paid the entrance to the castle ruin and sketched this view from inside the castle walls. As always, I'm still rubbish with ruins even though I always thought I could manage. 


I was about to head down, when I remembered there was another "Turner spot" a little bit down the hill. There was an older gentleman sitting on one of the benches there reading, so I left my stuff on the other bench and sat down somewhere with a clearer view (I really can't stand anymore) The gentlemen probably thought I couldn't speak German and so he struggled a little to chat in English. I tried to call upon Turner in my rendering...my alas I think I fell short by many miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.