I always considered Fachwerk overrated and not worth my time. That is, until I saw Strasbourg with the beautiful river Ill framing the tradition houses. Everything is just made the quainter with a flowing body of water!
Strasbourg
I totally underestimated the drive into Strasbourg from work. 3+ hours! while I thought it was only 2. And it was not only just highway. For some reason I had to drive all local traffic through Saarbrücken and then twist onto some country roads into France, and then finally onto the French A4 highway. Last but not least, the hotel in Strasbourg didn't have any onsite parking free or paid, so I had to park at a parking structure 10 minutes walk away. I was exhausted by the time I crashed onto the hotel bed finally after 10pm without dinner. (The traffic entering Strasbourg was also surprisingly busy after 9pm, I was not picturing 4 lane highways when I saw the quaint pictures of Strasbourg old town)
The weather was brutally hot and humid. (I remember my feet burning under the sun as I sat down with my shoes off for this river side piece)
River Ill (the most confusingly named river if printed san serif) was a delight. I chose not to draw the densely packed city centre but camped near a lock where the water roared.
This view of the Ponts Couverts was actually done the next day after my day trip to Colmar. The setting sun was gorgeous and the terrace offered the perfect viewing deck!
Colmar
Colmar definitely felt like a smaller scaled and denser version of Strasbourg. There is also a river, but much quieter.
I drew the first one while sitting down in front of a closed store (the river being partially covered at this section)
Then I strolled to the main attraction Little Venice and settled on a somewhat busy river. My strategy has always been to stand on the side of the attraction that offers no view, as in there is no instagram worthy view behind where I'm standing, so I'm technically not blocking anybody's photo op. That being said, the people snapping photos and walking by in front me are of no concern since I don't need a perfectly clear view at any instant and can just pick and draw whatever I want.
At the end of the 2 days, I definitely felt a little Fachwerk-fatigue. There is indeed such thing as too much quaintness. But indeed, Fachwerk + river = perfect setting
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.