Monday, 9 February 2015

Scenes from Tokyo: Train stations


Tokyo station sketched in the wind (before the pending rainstorm). I was exhausted having to hold my sketchbook flat against the raging wind for close to 1 hour. I also uncovered the amazing truth that Tokyo station is asymmetric! (The tiny windows on the roof count as 4-5-center-4-5 from left to right) The station itself celebrated its 100th anniversary last December, which is why I got the special commemorative stamp on the left (styled to the similarly-shaped ceiling of the 2 domes)


Asakusa station (and the adjoining mall) in the afternoon sun.The weather was great when I went. Apparently the building was restored back to its original appearance when it first opened in 1931 in an effort to promote its historic roots and...well, impress the tourists coming to see the Skytree (on the other side of the Sumida river)

No comments:

Post a Comment